Welcome to the website
Steam Tug Brent
Our website is still under
please come back soon
A Basic History
She was built in 1945 by William
Pickersgill, Sunderland for the Ministry of War Transport and designated TID
159, meaning Tug Inshore Defence, these steam tugs were one of the first UK
ventures into all welded prefabricated steel shipbuilding. Most were used by the
Admiralty and TID 159 was the last to be built. She was sold to the Port of
London Authority (PLA) at a subsidised price to replace wartime losses and
Working in the Dredging Department and Enclosed Dock System of the PLA she was eventually laid up in 1969 and sold to a shipbreaker in 1970. BRENT was saved by a private buyer in 1971 and by 1973 had won an award at the Greenwich Festival as ‘Best Kept Privately Owned Power Craft’.
She is the only steam powered vessel to have attended on the Thames at the Queen’s Coronation in 1953 and the Silver Jubilee in 1977.
BRENT is currently moored at The Hythe in Maldon, Essex, where she will be restored.
For more information on the restoration of this vessel, please Email us
Steam Tug Brent Trust
Registered Charity No.1139414